Top swimming pool robotic cleaners tested from certified pool technicians.
How do you choose between nearly identical cleaners?
Advanced algorithms for full cleaning
Scrubs floors, walls and waterline
Robust jets produces better friction
ActivMotion Sensor Technology
62 hours of
4 top picks
There are lots of pool cleaners out there, such as pressure-side or suction cleaners. Now, there are new robotic pool cleaners which are dominating the pool cleaning industry. They are so easy to use because you just put the robotic pool cleaner device in the water and let it do its thing.
There are several options out there for robotic pool cleaners. You’re probably confused about which one is the best or which features you should be watching for. Don’t worry because you’re about to learn all these things. We’ve created a list of the best robotic pool cleaners. You just need to review each one and learn about what they can do. Then you will be able to make an informed decision.
You might think there is no difference between these robotic pool cleaners. While they all provide a low maintenance option for cleaning a swimming pool, each cleaner has its own unique features and attributes.
As far as automatic pool cleaners go, robotic cleaners are just one type of cleaner. The other two types are suction-side cleaners and pressure-side cleaners. However, robotic cleaners do a much better cleaning job.
For one thing, you don’t need to attach your robotic cleaners to the swimming pool like you would with pressure-side or suction-side cleaners. Some robotic cleaners have internal batteries to charge the units, while others need an external power source.
It might seem strange for a pool cleaner that runs on electricity to be placed in water. Don’t worry, though, because robotic cleaners are powered by a ground-fault circuit interrupter which supplies it with lower voltage power sources. If there are any electrical issues detected in the cleaner, it is programmed to deactivate automatically so that you don’t get electrocuted.
Since each cleaner is different, the following are the ideal features that you should search for in your next robotic pool cleaner:
• Lightweight – The weight of your robotic pool cleaner is more important than the size of it. After all, you need to be able to lift the cleaner out of the water without any hassle. If you choose a heavy robotic pool cleaner, you’ll need an extra person to help you lift it out. So, try to find a lightweight cleaner if you can.
• 4-Wheel Drive – This doesn’t mean the same thing as it does in cars. A robotic pool cleaner with 4-wheel drive has rubber wheels which allow it to easily move around your pool, even if it’s bumpy. Slippery or wet surfaces are not a problem either.
• Swivel Cord – Most pool cleaners require power cords. As the cleaner moves on the water as well as on the stairs and vertical walls of the pool, its cord gets tangled quite easily. This will prevent the cleaner from continuing on. Fortunately, a robotic pool cleaner uses a swivel cord which reduces the chance of a tangled cord.
• Premium Brushes – It is difficult to clean debris and dirt from your swimming pool. The brushes of the robotic pool cleaner are what will be doing this cleaning. Look for a cleaner with brushes which have rotating rubber or hard bristles because they can scrub dirt a lot better.
• Programmable Timer – Robotic pool cleaners are designed to be automated, so you don’t need to manually turn it on each time you want to use it. Instead, there are some robotic pool cleaners which have programmable timers for activating them at specific times. All you need to do is periodically clean the cleaner.
• Climbing – A good robotic cleaner can climb pool obstacles well, such as the stairs and walls of your pool. Meanwhile, the waterline will be cleaned.
• Deflecting Sensors – Robotic pool cleaners tend to get caught in obstacles and in the corners of pools on occasion. Look for cleaners with deflecting features because this reduces the chances of them getting caught.
• Cleaning Efficiency – The cleaning cycle of each robotic pool cleaner is different. Some cycles are short while others are long. Find a robotic pool cleaner that is fast and efficient during its cleaning cycles.
• Durability – Since you will be paying more money for a robotic pool cleaner, make sure it is constructed of top-quality materials. After all, you’ll want this investment to last you for a long time, right? Repairs shouldn’t be needed for at least a couple of seasons of use.
• High Energy Efficiency – The bigger the robotic pool cleaner, the more energy it needs to operate. Smaller robotic cleaners use about 200 watts per hour, while bigger robotic cleaners use more. Stay away from the cleaners that use over 1,000 watts every hour because that means they are not energy efficient.
Robotic pool cleaners are available for all different prices. Whichever one you pick, it will provide you with cost savings, energy efficiency, and speed. Let’s take a look at the ten best ones available today.
Advanced algorithms for full cleaning
Uses advanced algorithms to clean 100% of your pool floor efficiently
Ideal for in-ground pools up to 50 feet
The automatic pool cover pump called the “Wayne WAPC250” is the best pump around. Once the water comes up to a certain level on the machine, the pump activates automatically. There is also a filter attached to prevent debris from knocking over or clogging the pool cover pump. This gives you the freedom to walk away without having to monitor it.
The Wayne WAPC250 has the ability to pump as much as 3,000 gallons of water per hour. It only has a 1.25” drain hose and a 25’ power cord too. If the temperature outside is freezing, the motor of the pump will be automatically protected by the freeze protection technology included. When you place the pump on the cover, you can position it properly with the 25’ rope that comes with it.
Cleans your pool quickly and easily
T2 gives you faster sweeping times which allows you to use less energy
Recommended for pools up to 50’ in length
The Aquabot Turbo T2 moves in 4 different directions to quickly clean your swimming pool. It has a deep cleaning feature which power washes tough smudges and stains on the walls and floor of your pol. Other features include circulation, vacuuming, and micro-filtering, which are suitable for cleaning smaller debris on the water line.
It comes with a 60’ long swivel power cord, so there is no worrying about getting it tangled or knotted. As for the unit itself, it works very quickly to clean your pool. It can go through as much as 75 gallons of pool water per minute. Depending on how big your pool is, it could clean it in about 60 minutes.
Bluetooth Ideal for Pools Up to 50 Feet
Robust jets produces better friction when climbing walls
Replacement parts can be a bit expensive
The Dolphin Triton Plus scans your swimming pool and creates a map for cleaning it. This is similar to what the Nautilus cleaner can do. However, the Dolphin Triton Plus has Bluetooth technology for connecting to your mobile device. You can use this ability to control the cleaner and make it clean certain areas that need it the most. This is something the Nautilus cannot do.
The Dolphin Triton Plus has two brushes for scrubbing the waterline, flooring, and walls of your pool. There is a very large filter which you need to maintain by reloading, dumping, and rinsing. To activate the cleaner, you just need to push a single button. The cleaner should take about 3 hours to finish.
4-wheel drive robotic cleaner
Brushes that scrub away stubborn dirt and stains
Some customers find it a bit expensive
The Polaris 9550 Sport is a pool cleaner with 4-wheel drive technology. This means it can clean the walls, cracks, gaps, and corners of your pool. Tough areas to reach are now achievable because of this cleaner’s rear water propulsion system. It also features a Vortex vacuum technology that can suck up huge pieces of debris and still keep on functioning.
The Polaris 9550 Sport includes a motion-sensing remote control. You can use this to guide the cleaner toward areas of the pool that really need to be cleaned. The filter canisters of the cleaner are designed so there’s no need to touch any of the debris. You just take out the cleaner and shake it around; then spray it down. The swivel power cord feature means you won’t get the cord tangled or twisted as you’re cleaning either.
Automatic In-Ground Robotic Brush Pool Cleaner
Energy saving accelerated cleaning robotic pool cleaner for household pools
It comes with a high price tag
The Aquabot Breeze IQ is a great robotic pool cleaner if dust and pollen are commonly a problem for your pool. It has filters which can block small debris, even if it’s 2 microns in size. As a result, it can filter out bacteria from your pool water.
It comes with a 60’ power cable which has swivel technology to prevent twisting and tangling of the cable. If there is any difficult pollen or dirt patches to deal with, the cleaner’s strong pump system can take care of them. Its strong scrubbing brushes can be used on any pool surface, even one that is lined with vinyl.
Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner
Cleans for full floor, walls, coves, and waterline
Customer service sometimes not exciting
The Hayward TigerShark can clean the waterline, coves, floors, and walls of your pool in just 3 hours. This is great if you need to clean your pool in a hurry before a big event or party that is about to take place.
There is a pump onboard the TigerShark to supply more cleaning power for eliminating tough debris and dirt patches. The power cord is quite lengthy and suitable for cleaning swimming pools that are as big as 40’ x 20’. To clean the pool, just take out the filter, empty the filter and rinse the filter. After that, you can reload it.
Maximizes energy efficiency
Cleans your pool floor and walls with low-profile design
Big and heavy not as convenient
The Hayward SharkVac is equipped with smart sensors to track and eliminate dirt along the waterline. In addition, these sensors keep the motors’ safe and ensure the cleaner has a long life. This is a very easy cleaner to use and manage.
The Flagship of the Dolphin Pool Cleaners
Smart-Nav software produces very optimized pool coverage for a unlike level of clean
Warranty could be longer
You won’t consume as much energy when using the Dolphin Premier Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner. This can be attributed to its commercial quality motors. As a result, it only cleans your pool water as needed without having to deal with pump cycles or high energy expenses.
There are four types of filters in this cleaner which can eliminate lots of different debris, such as huge leaves and fine algae. Select that filter you want to use and clean your area as needed. This robotic cleaner also features a swivel power cord to prevent tangling. There is even a smart navigational feature too.
Superior power and cleaning
High-level design scrubs, vacuums, and filters cleaning most pools in less than 3 hours
May find it challenging to clean the ladder of the pool
The Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler has the power to clean the average pool in up to 2 ½ hours. It only costs 20 cents per day to operate.
A caddy is included with this cleaner which allows you to transport it easily and store it away when not in use. The wireless remote control is suitable for managing cleaning from afar. Regular cleaning sessions can be scheduled to ensure you don’t miss any cleaning day.
It is ETL-listed to UL standard
High-Performance Robotic Cleaner for Inground Pools
Customer service is not that impressive
The Smartpool Scrubber 60 Plus is a lightweight and strong robotic pool cleaner. It can clean pools that are 8 feet in depth and with dimensions of 20’ x 40’. The intelligent navigation of the Scrubber prevents it from crashing into the walls because it knows which path to go.
At the top, there is a handle which you can use to easily remove the cleaner. The cleaning process can be sped up with the Quick-Drain system that is included. Safety is not a problem either because it is ETL certified. This should give you peace of mind when using an electrical device in a pool of water.
After you’ve chosen a good robotic pool cleaner, you must continue to care for it. Read the instructions included with the cleaner. You need to understand how it works before putting it in your swimming pool.
Here are some basic maintenance tips to care for your pool:
• Remove the cleaner from the pool after the cycle finishes. The motor will be preserved, and the pool will be safe for swimming.
• Following the manufacturer’s instructions for draining the water from the cleaner.
• Each time you use the robotic pool cleaner, you need to wash it. Inspect the wheels and brushes to make sure there is no debris. Empty the filter and then rinse it.
• Pay attention to how much the brushes are wearing out. If they get too worn out, replace them with new brushes.
• Don’t expose the cleaner to direct sunlight.
It is not difficult to care for a robotic cleaner. You just need to follow some simple maintenance tips.